Sexual Harassment Policy
Allanti Beauty Institute Sexual Violence Policy October 21, 2016
1. Sexual Violence Policy
- Allanti Beauty Institute is committed to providing its students with an educational environment free from sexual violence and treating its students who report incidents of sexual violence with dignity and respect.
- Allanti Beauty Institute has adopted this Sexual Violence Policy, which defines sexual violence and outlines its training, reporting, investigative and disciplinary responses to complaints of sexual violence made by its students that have occurred on its campus, or at one of its events and involve its student
- The person accused of engaging in sexual violence will be referred to as the “Respondent” and the person making the allegation as the “Complainant”.
2. Definition of Sexual Violence
Sexual violence means any sexual act or act targeting a person’s sexuality, gender identity or gender expression, whether the act is physical or psychological in nature, that is committed, threatened or attempted against a person without the person’s consent, and includes sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking, indecent exposure, voyeurism and sexual exploitation. Even something that you may think is trivial such as receiving a link like https://www.tubev.sex/?hl=zh which is to an adult pornography website is a form of sexual harassment.
3. Training, Reporting and Responding to Sexual Violence
- Allanti Beauty Institute shall include a copy of the Sexual Violence Policy in every contract made between it and its students, and provide a copy of the Sexual Violence Policy to career college management (corporate directors, controlling shareholders, owners, partners, other persons who manage or direct the career college’s affairs, and their agents), instructors, staff, other employees and contractors and train them about the policy and its processes of reporting, investigating and responding to complaints of sexual violence involving its student *Any company participating in offering student internships on their premises must provide an undertaking in writing that it is in compliance with all applicable legislation, including the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Occupational Health and Safety Act and will provide students access to those policies should they encounter issues relating to sexual violence in the workplace.
- The Sexual Violence Policy shall be published on its website (or where the Career College does not have a website in a conspicuous location on each of its campuses).
- Career college management, instructors, staff, other employees and contractors of Allanti Beauty Institute will report incidents of or complaints of sexual violence to Jane Ross – Director upon becoming aware of them.
- Students who have been affected by sexual violence or who need information about support services should contact Jane Ross – Director.
- Subject to Section 4 below, to the extent it is possible, Allanti Beauty Institute will attempt to keep all personal information of persons involved in the investigation confidential except in those circumstances where it believes an individual is at imminent risk of self-harm, or of harming another, or there are reasonable grounds to believe that others on its campus or the broader community are at risk. This will be done by:
- ensuring that all complaints/reports and information gathered as a result of the complaint/reports will be only available to those who need to know for purposes of investigation, implementing safety measures and other circumstances that arise from any given case; and
- ensuring that the documentation is kept in a separate file from that of the Complainant/student or the Respondent.
- Allanti Beauty Institute recognizes the right of the Complainant not to report an incident of or make a complaint about sexual violence or not request an investigation and not to participate in any investigation that may occur
- Notwithstanding (f), in certain circumstances, Allanti Beauty Institute may be required by law or its internal policies to initiate an internal investigation and/or inform police without the complainant’s consent if it believes the safety of members of its campus or the broader community is at risk
- In all cases, including (f) above, Allanti Beauty Institute will appropriately accommodate the needs of its students who are affected by sexual violen Students seeking accommodation should contact Jane Ross – Director
In this regard, Allanti Beauty Institute will assist students who have experienced sexual violence in obtaining counselling and medical care, and provide them with information about sexual violence supports and services available in the community as set out in Appendix 1 attached hereto. Students are not required to file a formal complaint in order to access supports and services.
4. Investigating Reports of Sexual Violence
- Under this Sexual Violence Policy, any student of Allanti Beauty Institute college may file a report of an incident or a complaint to Jane Ross- Director in writing. The other officials, offices or departments that will be involved in the investigation are Constance Madigan – Owner, Nicola Ashcroft – Instructor.
- Upon receipt of a report of an incident or a complaint of alleged sexual violence being made, Jane Ross – Director will respond promptly and:
- determine whether an investigation should proceed and if the Complainant wishes to participate in an investigation;
- determine who should conduct the investigation having regard to the seriousness of the allegation and the parties involved;
- determine whether the incident should be referred immediately to the police;
In such cases or where civil proceedings are commenced in respect of allegations of sexual violence, Allanti Beauty Institute may conduct its own independent investigation and make its own determination in accordance with its own policies and procedures; and
- determine what interim measures ought to be put in place pending the investigation process such as removal of the Respondent or seeking alternate methods of providing necessary course studing
- Once an investigation is initiated, the following will occur:
- the Complainant and the Respondent will be advised that they may ask another person to be present throughout the investigation;
- interviewing the Complainant to ensure a complete understanding of the allegation and gathering additional information that may not have been included in the written complaint such as the date and time of the incident, the persons involved, the names of any person who witnessed the incident and a complete description of what occurred;
- informing and interviewing the Respondent of the complaint, providing details of the allegations and giving the Respondent an opportunity to respond to those allegations and to provide any witnesses the Respondent feels are essential to the investigation;
- interviewing any person involved or who has, or may have, knowledge of the incident and any identified witnesses;
- providing reasonable updates to the Complainant and the Respondent about the status of the investigation; and
- following the investigation, the Jane Ross- Director will:
- review all of the evidence collected during the investigation;
- determine whether sexual violence occurred; and if so
- determine what disciplinary action, if any, should be taken as set out in Section 5 below.
5. Disciplinary Measures
- If it is determined by Allanti Beauty Institute that the Respondent did engage in sexual violence, immediate disciplinary or corrective action will be taken. This may include:
- disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment of instructors or staff; or
- expulsion of a student; and /or
- the placement of certain restrictions on the Respondent’s ability to access certain premises or facilities; and/or
- any other actions that may be appropriate in the circumstances.
- Should the Complainant or the Respondent not agree with the decision resulting from the investigation, he or she may appeal the decision to Jane Ross-Director within 30 days by submitting a letter addressed to Jane Ross-Director advising of the person’s intent to appeal the decision.
7. Making False Statements
- It is a violation of this Sexual Violence Policy for anyone to knowingly make a false complaint of sexual violence or to provide false information about a complaint
- Individuals who violate this Sexual Violence Policy are subject to disciplinary and
/ or corrective action up to and including termination of employment of instructors or staff or expulsion of a student.
- It is a violation of this Sexual Violence Policy to retaliate or threaten to retaliate against a complainant who has brought forward a complaint of sexual violence, provided information related to a complaint, or otherwise been involved in the complaint investigation process.
- Individuals who violate the Sexual Violence Policy are subject to disciplinary and
/or corrective action, up to and including termination of employment of instructors or staff or expulsion of a student.
- Allanti Beauty Institute shall ensure that student input is considered in the development of its Sexual Violence Policy and every time it is reviewed or amended.
- Allanti Beauty Institute shall review its Sexual Violence Policy 3 years after it is first implemented and amend it where appropriate. This date is December 17, 2019.
10. Collection of Student Data
- Allanti Beauty Institute shall collect and be prepared to provide upon request by the Superintendent of Private Career Colleges such data and information as required according to Subsections 32. 3 (8), (9) and (10) of Schedule 5 of the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005 as amended.
The following represents a list of Provincial Rape Crisis Centres that could be provided as resources:
Canadian Association of Sexual Assault Centres Ontario
Assaulted Women’s Helpline Toll Free: 1-866-863-0511
#SAFE (#7233) on Bell, Rogers, Fido or Telus mobile TTY: 416-364-8762
Telephone Toll-Free: 1-877-336-2433
ATS: 1 866 860-7082
Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres
Alliston, Barrie, Collingwood, Midland and Orillia
Huronia Transition Homes operates La Maison Rosewood Shelter (Midland) & Athena’s Sexual Assault Counselling and Advocacy Centre
24-Hour Crisis Line:
Barrie: 705-737-2008 or 1-800-987-0799
Midland: 705-526-4211 or 1-800-461-175
Sexual Assault Centre for Quinte and District Toll-Free: 1-877-544-6424
Muskoka/Parry Sound Sexual Assault Services Parry Sound District Office
Office: (705) 774-9083 or 1-877-851-6662
www.daphnewymn.com Muskoka District Office
Office: (705) 646-2122 or 1-877-406-1268
Sexual Assault Centre of Brantford Crisis: 519-751-3471
Assault Response & Care Centre
Office: (613) 345-3881 or 1-800-567-7415
Chatham-Kent Sexual Assault Crisis Centre 24-Hour Crisis Line: 519-354-8688 Office/TTY: 519-354-8908
Sexual Assault Support Services for Women Office:613-932-1755
Iethinisten:ha Women’s Shelter Akwasasne Family Violence Program 24-Hour Crisis: 1-800-480-4208
Durham Rape Crisis Centre Crisis: 905-668-9200
Women’s Sexual Assault Centre of Renfrew County 24-Hour Crisis: 1-800-663-3060
Guelph-Wellington Women in Crisis Crisis: 519-836-5710
Sexual Assault Centre (Hamilton and Area) Crisis: (905) 525-4162
Office (905) 525-4573
Kenora Sexual Assault Centre
Crisis: (807) 468-7233 or 1-800-565-6161
Office: (807) 468-7958
Sexual Assault Centre Kingston
Crisis: 613-544-6424 or 1-877-544-6424
Sexual Assault Support Centre of Waterloo Region Crisis: 519.741.8633
Sexual Assault Centre London Crisis: 519-438-2272
London Abused Women’s Centre Office: 519-432-2204
Hope 24/7 (formerly the Sexual Assault/Rape Crisis Centre of Peel) Crisis:1-800-810-0180
Office: (905) 792-0821
Women’s Support Network of York Region Crisis: 1-800-263-6734 or 905-895-6734
Office: (905) 895-3646
Amelia Rising Women’s Sexual Assault Centre of Nipissing/centre d’aggressions sexuelles de Nipissing
TTY: (705) 840-5877
Sexual Assault & Violence Intervention Services of Halton Crisis: 905-875-1555 or 1-877-268-8416
Family Transition Place
Sexual Assault Support Centre Crisis: 613-234-2266
Ottawa Rape Crisis Centre Crisis: 613-562-2333
Peterborough & Kawarthas Kawartha Sexual Assault Centre
Crisis: (705) 741- 0260 or 1-866-298-7778
Office/TTY: (705) 741-0260
YWCA Peterborough Haliburton Crisis: 1-800-461-7656
Office: 705.743.3526 x 130
Sault Ste Marie
Women in Crisis (Algoma) Inc.
Crisis: 705-759-1230 or 1-877-759-1230
Sexual Assault Survivors Centre Sarnia-Lambton Crisis: 519 337-3320 or 1-888-231-0536
Office: (519) 337-3154
Haldimand & Norfolk Women’s Service Crisis: 1-800-265-8076
Niagara Region Sexual Assault Centre Crisis: (905) 682-4584
Office: (905) 682-7258
Thunder Bay Sexual Assault and Sexual Abuse Crisis and Counselling Centre
Office: (807) 345-0894 or 1-866-311-5927
Timmins and Area Women in Crisis Crisis: 1-877-268-8380 (sexual assault) Crisis: 1-855-827-7233 (shelter)
Office: (705) 268-8381
Oasis Centre des Femmes Téléphone : 416-591-6565
Courriel : firstname.lastname@example.org
Toronto Rape Crisis Centre: Multicultural Women Against Rape Crisis: 416-597-8808
Sexual Assault Crisis Centre of Essex County Crisis: 519-253-9667
Domestic Abuse Services Oxford
Crisis: 519 539-4811 or 1-800-265-1938